Monday, November 1, 2010

A poem for the (too often) forgotten victims

(Un)Heard Screams
by Lisa Spurgeon Bullock

Shapes and colors are what I am taught in school,
Circles of violence and black and blue.
Why do we stay? She is such a fool.

I cry tears most every night,
But they are gone by mornings light.
She will act like they never existed.
I will keep screaming, yet no one will listen.

My voice is one of many others.
We are the children, they our mothers.
Do you not see the hurt in my eyes?
Please, I beg you, do not fall for the lies.

My screams are weakening and I am going hoarse.
If you do not act now you will be full of remorse.
For those who ignore the screams, and feign ignorance is bliss.
You might as well be the ones who are throwing their fists.
I feel so alone and need to be saved.
I do not want my tomorrows spent from a grave.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Kelli. I have personally never experienced domestic violence but it still hits close to home because I have had loved ones, including children, who were victims. There is help out there but so many people feel stuck when in the situation. I want parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. to stop and think about the children who are hurting. They do not get the choice to leave and we need to stand up for them and not be afraid of sticking our noses in their business. They not only need us to be courageous but they deserve it.

    ReplyDelete